Location: Engagement & Development Services - Fulton & Montgomery Counties
This is professional public relations work with responsibility for developing and implementing a program of planned and strategic two-way communication, which also includes publicizing and distributing information about school district or BOCES news, events, programs, services and facilities. Employees in this class maintain close contact and cooperate with policy-making officials, school staff, local media representatives and the public. Work is performed independently in accordance with established policies and practices. Supervision of program projects and activities may be required. Does related work as required.
1. Works closely with school district and/or BOCES administrators and staff to assess communications needs, opportunities and strategies;
2. Plans, develops and produces a wide-range of communications strategies and materials for both internal and external audiences, including but not limited to newsletters, brochures, press releases, news articles, fact sheets, presentations, special reports etc.;
3. Assists in analyzing and explaining school district budgets, student testing and achievement data and/or other complex information related to school programs, policies and operations;
4. Attends meetings and maintains records of information released.
5. Good knowledge of the principles and practices of journalism and public relations;
6. Good knowledge of appropriate media sources for dissemination of information;
7. Good knowledge of English usage, spelling, punctuation and grammar;
8. Ability to read, interpret, analyze and summarize complex written documents;
9. Ability to acquire a knowledge of school district operations and complex educational issues;
10. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
11. Ability to express oneself effectively in both oral or written form;
12. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.