LOCATION: Northeastern Regional Information Center – Hamilton/Fulton/Montgomery Regions
The work involves responsibility for supervising, coordinating and supporting school district distributed information technology and telecommunications activities supported by a BOCES Regional Information Center (RIC). The incumbent supervises a unit of personnel involved in coordinating Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) installations and the subsequent on-going maintenance and support of such networks. The incumbent also may provide direct LAN and WAN installation, maintenance and support services to a school district.
This class differs from that of Program Coordinator II (Network Services) by virtue of the fact that a Managing Program Coordinator I (Network Services) may exercise supervision over others, conducts a special project or is engaged in servicing advanced software systems for a large component school district. The incumbent also assists RIC management in developing the annual budget and costs for services. The incumbent may exercise supervision over Program Coordinators I and II (Network Services), Program Coordinator Trainees and other support staff.
The work is performed under the general supervision of a Managing Program Coordinator II (Network Services) or other RIC administrator. Does related work as required.
1. Supervises and trains Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) personnel.
2. Develops and implements LAN and WAN strategic technology plans for school districts.
3. Installs Local Area Network equipment and systems including configuring workstations and installing switches, routers, modems and wiring, and loading server and personal computer software.
4. Diagnoses and resolves systems, hardware and software problems.
5. Researches new Local Area Network and Wide Area Network technologies to apprise and identify future technology needs of component school districts.
6. Plans and implements new technology projects for component school districts and establishes and maintains documentation of associated costs.
7. Develop long-term strategic planning for implementation of new technology, maintenance of existing equipment and technology, and other associated network devices.
8. Develops and maintains computer hardware and software standards and ensures compliance of same with both school district and BOCES standards.
9. Reviews Regional Information Center Service Prospectus for compliance with the New York State Department of Education guidelines.
10. Coordinates the acquisition of computer hardware, software and supplies and establishes and maintains an inventory of same.
11. Develops an annual budget for a Local Area Network or Wide Area Network unit and/or develops a yearly technology budget for a school district.
12. Prepares a multi-year cost analysis for the purchase of LAN and/or WAN services.
13. Assists other RIC administrators in the preparation of competitive bid specifications by providing hardware, software and staff development requirements.
14. Meets with school district staff to coordinate technology efforts in the district.
15. Develops and maintains vendor partnerships.
16. Thorough knowledge of distributed information technology and telecommunications principles and procedures.
17. Thorough knowledge of Local Area Network and Wide Area Network computer systems including those used for telecommunications.
18. Good knowledge of website development and maintenance.
19. Good knowledge of the computer hardware and software industry.
20. Good knowledge of standard office practices and equipment.
21. Good knowledge of modern management and supervisory principles and practices.
22. Working knowledge of budget preparation and the BOCES budgetary process.
23. Ability to develop, design, coordinate and/or deliver network technology training.
24. Ability to design, install, update and maintain Local Area Networks and Wide Area Networks.
25. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
26. Ability to form and maintain effective working relationships.
27. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.