- Position Title
- School Lunch Director
- Required Application Type
- School Related Personnel
- Salary/Pay Scale
- Job Description
Location: Management Services - Berne-Knox-Westerlo & Schoharie School District
This is administrative work involving responsibility for directing the activities of Capital Region BOCES’s Shared Food Service Programs. Work is performed under the direction of the Director of Shared Food Service Programs (BOCES) and involves carrying out policies and establishing procedures for the effective operation of the program. Supervision is exercised over the work of several school lunch managers and/or cook-managers, and other school lunch program personnel. Does related work as required.
1. Directs the operation of the school lunch program for school districts that participate in the service.
2. Serves as technical advisor to the school administration in the formulation of policies, procedures and plans for the operation of the school lunch program and carries out the established policies.
3. Coordinates the purchase of foods, supplies and equipment for school districts that participate in the service.
4. Assists participating school districts in the execution of the school lunch program budget for current long-range expenditures and advises the administration on capital outlay for equipment.
5. Participates in selection of school lunch personnel and is responsible for evaluating work performance.
6. Executes the training of employees.
7. Establishes accounting procedures and maintains records necessary for sound financial control.
8. Prepares and analyzes reports relating to school lunch program activities.
9. Consults with individuals and groups in the school and community and provides information which will contribute to a better understanding of the program.
10. Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of nutrition and their application to the health of children.
11. Thorough knowledge of all phases of the school lunch program.
12. Thorough knowledge of institution administration including purchasing, sanitation, safety, equipment selection and operation.
13. Thorough knowledge of office management, personnel selection and training.
14. Good knowledge of school business procedures.
15. Ability to develop effective employee training, supervisory techniques, personnel relations and community relations.
16. Ability to express ideas clearly and to write reports effectively.
18. Neat personal appearance.
19. Tact and good judgment.
22. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Civil Service Title
- School Lunch Director
- Job Qualifications
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: EITHER:
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or university with at least a Bachelor’s degree in food service management, dietetics, family and consumer sciences, nutrition education, culinary arts, business or a closely related field and two (2) years of food service experience in an institutional setting, one (1) year of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity; OR,
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or university with an Associate’s degree in food service management, dietetics, family and consumer sciences, nutrition education, culinary arts, business or a closely related field and four (4) years of food service experience in an institutional setting, one (1) year of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment
- Application Procedure
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
- Job Category
- Professional/Administrative Positions
- Job Location
- Capital District Region