- Position Title
- Help Desk Technician
- Required Application Type
- School Related Personnel
- Salary/Pay Scale
- $38,945 - $44,787
- Job Description
Location: Northeastern Regional Information Center - North Country
The Help Desk Technician is the primary contact with employees regarding repair, troubleshooting. Incumbent provides prescribed technical assistance to users via the telephone for problems that are routine in nature. Enters calls into department support call tracking database/system. Troubleshoots technical support requests to determine if problem is caused by hardware/ software, or peripheral equipment. Incumbent answers multiple line telephone in the performance of the duties. Incumbent may perform duties out of the office at user specific locations. Supervision is not a responsibility of this class. Work is performed under the general direction of Network & Systems Technicians. Does related work as required.
1. Receives requests via telephone, e-mail, facsimile, mail, and in person for the support services provided by Division of Information Services.
2. Reviews and resolves computer software and hardware problems of users.
3. Logs requests for technical support into a computer, forwards requests as necessary.
4. Troubleshoots routine and standard personal computer problems, and provides prescribed technical assistance if applicable.
5. Answer telephones and direct calls as necessary.
6. Installs personal computers and peripheral equipment as necessary.
7. Installs/re-installs personal computer operation systems as necessary.
8. Setup personal computer operating systems, third party software, and data/Internet/Intranet access for user specific needs.
9. Provides assistance to Resource Center users regarding the use of peripheral personal computer equipment and software.
10. Maintains computerized files regarding the use of the divisions’ services by other departments and sends billing statements to those departments.
11. Meets with departments to provide technical assistance regarding departmental specific software, and acts as a liaison between the department and the vendor/manufacturer of the third party software in cases of vendor required support and defective software/hardware.
12. Maintain support documentation, files and records, as necessary.
13. Working knowledge of personal computers and the peripheral equipment.
14. Working knowledge of modern office equipment and terminology.
15. Working knowledge of modern information services terminology.
16. Working knowledge of business English.
17. Skill in the use of a personal computer keyboard.
18. Ability to communicate technical information both verbally and in writing.
19. Ability to use a personal computer.
20. Ability to convey prescribed technical procedures via the telephone.
21. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
22. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
23. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Civil Service Title
- Help Desk Technician
- Job Qualifications
A. Graduation from a New York State or regionally accredited college or university with at least a Bachelor’s Degree in management information systems, computer science, information resources management, information technology, or a closely related field; OR,
B. Graduation from a New York State or regionally accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree in management information systems, computer science, information resources management, information technology, or a closely related field and one (1) year full-time paid experience as a computer technician; OR,
C. Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and two (2) years full-time paid experience as a computer technician.
NOTE: Following completion of a successful probationary period (minimum of 12 weeks to a maximum of 52 weeks) as outlined in Rule XIV.1.b and Rule XV, individuals with permanent competitive status as Help Desk Technician Trainee (BOCES) mature to Help Desk Technician (BOCES) without further examination.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
- Application Procedure
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
- Job Category
- Information Technology Positions
- Job Location
- Capital District Region